Sunday, March 1, 2015

Never "The Best"

It seems like no matter what we do, we are never the best. Someone is always better at whatever we try. Yesterday's world record or gold medal is a memory tomorrow and it feels as if we are always working only to end up good instead of great. Brachial plexus injury or not, we are constantly comparing ourselves to others and usually finding a reason they must be above us. But it's all ridiculous. So I'm not the best soccer player or the smartest student or the most compassionate friend or the most angelic daughter but I know that I am a good soccer player, an intelligent person, a caring friend, and a nice daughter. My value doesn't have to rest on its relation to others'. I'm not the best but as long as I am striving to be my best, isn't that all that matters? I was born to do something entirely different than everyone else here. You were too. So how can we compare ourselves to them?

"Don't compare yourself to others. Compare yourself to the person you were yesterday."

I think that is a much better way to go about it :)



P.S. Sorry for the lack of posts the past couple weeks, I was using the time to gather new thoughts and ideas for this blog! But I am back :) 

No comments :