Sunday, January 12, 2014

Time

I've never agreed with the saying that "Time heals all." Time so often makes things worse or just doesn't do anything at all. This probably sounds ridiculous coming from a teenager so let me save myself before I lose you all by saying I do know there is truth in the help that Time brings. When something painful occurs, whether physical or mental, it's all you can think about, all you can feel. But with Time, it becomes background noise and new happenings grab your attention. Still, I don't believe that Time heals. Time is more like the band-aid that doesn't do much but cover up the wound for a while. Time never makes wounds go away, it just makes them less important than the new ones always coming in.

Maybe having a brachial plexus injury has made me a bit more pessimistic about Time. Time hasn't healed me and if I don't take care of my shoulder, it will actually make it worse. But this is all ridiculously negative! My left arm was practically paralyzed when I was born. I've grown up to be the monkey bars champion in elementary school, a pitcher in softball, and now a yogi. People no longer ask me why I only pump one arm when I run. I don't have to pass on playing the pattycake hand game anymore because I can't turn my hand over. And most importantly, I've learned the best ways to live with my brachial plexus injury everyday.

I don't give Mother Time credit for all these accomplishments though. I can tell you that Time will make this easier as you grow up, even if only because you will learn to accept yourself and the special ways you do things. But Time won't solve your problems for you. Time will not give you the better range of motion that physical therapy can. Time will not give you the perseverance that is so necessary with these injuries. Time won't heal all. But if you find that perseverance, a band-aid is all you will need :)

No comments :