Sunday, January 26, 2014

Posture

This might sound really boring but it's actually been a huge problem for me lately. My posture with my shoulder has slowly gotten worse and worse and I really think it's something major you should focus on as early as possible. I started getting into this bad habit of rolling my shoulders forward and I never really payed much attention to it until recently. It's a natural reaction (even for people without BPI) because it's the body's way of protecting the heart. But in the process, it can cause major issues with your shoulder and those muscles in the front and back of it. I try and make a conscious effort to pull my shoulders back but I rarely remember. I can't really pinpoint why it's so frustrating but it is. I guess because my shoulder's not truly comfortable whether I let it roll forward or make the effort to pull it back. It feels like it's in the transition between the two resting places so neither feels right when I pay attention to it. But that's how I know I need to make the effort to pull it back where it should be. If not, I know it's going to cause major problems later as I stretch the muscles on my back and shrink the ones in front. This was actually brought to light to me by the guy who massages me who I've mentioned before. And he told me that another good way to help with it is to strengthen the muscles with exercises that mimic a rowing motion, where your arms pull back with some weight usually. So I'm going to start doing exercises like that with a stretching band to strengthen and I hope that will help. Also, yoga always really helps with pulling my shoulders back. I think that's why I've been noticing it so much lately (I haven't gone to yoga in a while). I just want you guys to keep this in mind so hopefully you don't get to where I am with the frustration of it or even worse. Just focus on it early so it becomes natural and you won't have to worry about later :)

If you guys have any questions or suggestions about this, I would love to hear from you! Or even about anything else. I've heard that there's been a lot of issues with the contact form and comments on my blog and that they're not coming through. I'm working on fixing it but I want you guys to know that if you've reached out to me and gotten nothing back--I'm not ignoring you! So please keep trying and if I haven't responded or posted your comments, it's only because I'm not getting them. I hope I can get it fixed really soon but until then, keep sending stuff and even if you haven't already, please do! I love hearing from you guys.

No comments :