Sunday, February 2, 2014

Picking Sides

My BPI often causes me to do everything with my right hand. I grew up not being able to do a lot of normal activities with my left arm so that now it's a default to use my right arm for almost everything, even things I now could use my left arm for. If someone hands me something, I reach for it with my right hand, even if it's close enough that my left arm could reach it. I pet my dog with my right hand, eat with my right hand, brush my teeth with my right hand, and even now I'm typing predominantly with my right fingers. I know a lot of these activities are common to do with your right hand even without a brachial plexus injury and you're just right-handed. But a lot of having this injury is overcompensation and have an idea for overcompensation that might actually be some that helps for once. My body has been conditioned into picking my right side and I'm done with it.

I have another idea to help strengthen my left shoulder--use it. I'll hold my notebook with my left arm, text with my left hand, drink with my left hand, and high-five with my left hand. Because my left arm is so out of use, it's getting weaker every minute. I'm going to start making the extra effort to remind myself not to favor my right side. It sounds simple, but I'm sure it won't be easy.

I'm self-conscious of using my left arm because I have less control over it so I'm afraid I'll make some stupid mistake and look like an infant who can't find her mouth when she's eating. Sometimes it can be slower to use my left arm or take more focus or effort because it's not as strong. But most of all, I know I'm just going to forget. I am so used to using my right arm for everything that it's a reflex. It's probably twice as strong and as comfortable doing everything for that very reason, not even because of my BPI. But I'm going to try this.

If anyone else feels that they unnecessarily favor one side too, I encourage you to do this with me :) I know it might sound hard at first but I think it will quickly get easier to handle. I think it will help us be more confident in both sides of our bodies and it will overall strengthen that shoulder. I want to be able to do more and be more comfortable using both of my arms and, though it may be slow, I hope just putting in a little extra effort will eventually show some change. I'm tired of picking sides.

Good luck to anyone who tries this out with me and please message me about your experience with it! Thanks guys :)

No comments :