Sunday, January 11, 2015

Feeling Like a Little Kid

BPI often binds you to dependency. Normal people survive their childhoods with the help of others and then slowly learn to live on their own without it. Oftentimes a brachial plexus injury makes that seem impossible. It's hard to feel independent when you still struggle to turn the steering wheel or put a shirt on or give a high five. When you still need people's help to do things any normal teenager should be able to. On top of that, people seem to no matter what treat you more like a child when they find out. They forget that you are the same person they've known as normal before you told them. No need for things to change just cause you now know something that always existed!

Some physical things may still be awkward for me but if anything, I'm mentally older because of my brachial plexus injury. To others I may seem more dependent, but in my mind I feel more independent than most people I meet. With an injury as uncommon as BPI, you learn to figure things out on your own much sooner than everyone else. 

1 comment :

  1. I know what you mean about being treated differently. If I can help it, I try not to tell people that won't be affected by it just to avoid that. Sometimes I can get away with it, sometimes not :)

    ReplyDelete